Sunday, January 27, 2008

Wesley Michael Owens

Wesley at 6 months
Wesley at 2 1/2 years old with what looks like cornstarch (see story below)
smeared in the background
Hmmmm, maybe it's time to clean off the scanner.

How do I describe my Wesley? So sweet, so cute, so seriously funny. So stubborn, so willful, so difficult. Bless his little heart. Somedays he's lucky he's so cute. He'd get in a lot more trouble if his sweet eyes weren't so good at melting my heart. Then, there's his hair. I got away with not cutting it at all for the first 15 months of his life. But you can't have a grandpa who's a barber (Grandpa Joe, Tim's Dad) and have long hair, even if it is adorable and curly. So, I got used to getting it cut. After the original haircut, I thought the curls wouldn't grow back. But alas, his hair is still completely curly but only in the back. It gets so puffy somedays that it doesn't matter if I comb it or not. It just starts taking on a life of its own. I'm always getting comments like, "Wow. What a head of hair on that little guy!" (Can you relate, Leslie and Cath? FYI-my absolutely adorable nephews Van and Tate both have the tons-o-hair thing going on, too!!)
Anyway, this photo was taken last Monday when all the kids were home from school for MLK's b-day. I was feeling like I was getting so much done. I got on the treadmill for my jog. Lindsay made waffles for everyone. #2 and #3 (Miles and Samuel) were keeping busy. I should have known things didn't bode well for me. I come downstairs to find my Wesley like this. At first I didn't even know what it was. Then, I discovered my now-almost-empty box of cornstarch. I was so proud of myself (Did I mention that my New Year's Resolution is to learn how to control my anger?). I just forced out a laugh and ran for the camera.


Yesterday I had my pile of mending out and was sitting at the sewing machine. He wanted to help but was supposed to be sitting at the table finishing he dessert. So I said, "Finish up, and then, you can come help me." He ran back and finished and then came bounding down. "Can I help now?" "Honey, your hands are all sticky. Go wash your hands and then you can help." "But I can't!" "What? Why can't you?" He pauses, and you can literally see the wheels turning. "Because...I'm a little bit big. But, I'm a little bit little." So adorable. He's right, too.

And....how can I post without a picture of my dolly? Here's a picture of her in the sweet outfit her Aunt Leslie sent her. You can sort of see what I mean about Wesley's hair from this picture.



5 comments:

Erika said...

Wesley is a doll! So impressed that you laughed and got the camera. What a great picture. And Julia is getting so big--what a pretty girl.

emily said...

I've also had to learn to laugh at those moments...so cute and fun when you have the patience to laugh about it!

eldredgered said...

haha caroline, i have a couple pictures of tyler with some sort of food product all over him. i figure you either take a picture or you kill them, thank heavens for cameras. we miss you guys, oh and i look at pictures and think your boys are like those russian stacking dolls you have. your boys look just alike only gradually smaller!

Homewiththekids said...

I'm just laughing so hard I have tears and I've already heard the story but the pictures are worth millions of conversations. Yes, Tate has the out-of-control hair and I'll be darned if his mouth isn't crusted over to boot! I swore up and down that I would never be one of those moms but alas! And yes I do have to agree with the Russian doll comment! I was thinking the exact same thing as I didn't know who that picture was of until I re-read the headliner. I personally thought it was a cute picture of Miles. I sure hope you are labeling all your pictures or we will have another nightmare in the garage! (Hee hee referral to mom and dad's garage!)

Anonymous said...

Wesley looks I lot like Miles when he was his age. It is nice to hear from you guys. Your family is grown since we lost saw you.