Wednesday, March 09, 2011

On Being A Mother To Kids That Are Way Too Smart

Okay, I had a total moment of "Who is this strong spirit that I get to parent?" the other night.  I had another one of those "emotional tailspin" kind of days last Saturday that lasted through Sunday evening.  Loud kids + messy house = cranky Mom, is usually the status quo around here.  Saturday, though, it seems that poor Tim had had enough.  Loud kids + messy house + cranky Mom = Dad criticizing pointing out the truth about Mom's crankiness and how much it is a drain on everyone = Mom going into a massive emotional down spiral.  So, I tried the silent treatment (can you even imagine me being successful at that?)  Anyway, then we had Stake Conference.  Enough said.  Finally, I had a choir performance.  That might have been what finally broke my yuckiness.  By Sunday evening, I was in repair mode.  I was also feeling sorry and wanted to apologize to my kids.  I sort of pulled each one of them aside and apologized and asked forgiveness of them.  Aren't kids amazing at being forgiving?  Anyway, I finally got to Lindsay.  A simple apology didn't seem enough for her, so I thought I'd be a little more explanatory.  I said something like, "Linds, I may not be the perfect mother, but I am a really good example to you of someone who falls down, gets back up off the floor, brushes herself off, and tries again."  She replied, "Yes, but sometimes you like to writhe around on the ground a little while you're down there."  Yes, folks.  My 12 year old pretty much knows me as well as my therapist.  I couldn't believe it.  I've had a good laugh every time I've thought of her wise analysis of my behavior.  Sometimes I feel so lucky to be the mother to this wildly strong young woman.  Wow.  She has taught me a lot over the past 12 1/2 years.

You know me.  I always have to put a picture in.  This is the picture that is in the ad that Tim has running in the local newspaper.  We had it taken last summer out in New York.  If the battery hadn't died on my camera this morning, I'd have some pictures from Julia and Wesley's Ballet classes.  It was Parent Observation Week.  They both did a great job and have learned a lot.

4 comments:

Erika said...

And I feel so lucky to know you! Sorry it was a hard week. You are just amazing Caroline. I love you and loved seeing that picture of your beautiful family. Can't wait to see you next week!

emily said...

I love how honest you are. We all have those days. I had one recently too. Then Scott said, "When the mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." At first I was really bugged - how dare he! :) Then I realized the truth in that statement! Kids sure are perceptive...

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

Don't take it too hard all good moms "writhe around" down there every once in a while. LOVE IT!

On the same note In Relief Society someone told us, "A mother should be the thermostat in the home not the thermometer." So unfair and yet so TRUE!