Saturday, February 12, 2011

What is the fascination?

I had my sewing machine and all its trimmings out.  I hadn't realized that you could use a sewing machine to sew the badges on Cub Scout shirts.  It really wasn't that hard.  Boy, I sure had a lot of catching up to do.  Later that week, my sewing stuff was still strewn around my bedroom, and I saw this:




As you can see, this is my cute little strawberry pin cushion with the word "poo" arranged in pins.  At one point last month, I even saw all the icons on the computer's desktop arranged to form the word "poo".  I'm not kidding.

I guess it stems from way back when I was a new parent.  I was determined that my little angel wouldn't say such inappropriate words as "poo" or "pee".  Yes, I'll admit, if you promise not to make fun of me too much (and you know who you are), I decided that in our household we'd refer to those bodily functions as "BM" and "urinate".  I can't even really write it down without sort of chuckling to myself.  What was I thinking?  No, not really.  I think back to that idealistic mother of twelve and a half years ago with fondness and sometimes even longing.  

So, fast forward to today.  My kids are now all obsessed with the word "poo".  Okay, okay.  I know it could just be the "I'm a 5th grade boy, and nothing is funnier to me than potty humor", but I still somehow find a way to take the blame.  Meanwhile, Julia, newly potty-trained, runs around the house, grabbing between her legs, and yells, "I have to go pee!" when she's gotta go.  Ahhh, how we learn to let some things slide with maturity, age, or well, let's just be honest, with being beaten down by all these kids who automatically obsess on anything that I say "don't" to! :)

But alas, all is not lost.  When I want a guaranteed, natural smile for any picture, any time, all I have to do is say "poo" myself, and my kids erupt into laughter.  All those cute pictures where they're all miraculously, simultaneously smiling?  More likely than not they've just heard their mother say "the word".


2 comments:

anitamombanita said...

Poo or not, those are some cute cute kids ya got there, Caroline! I can't believe how much they've grown.

Homewiththekids said...

Just wait before you know it, it will be the "f" word. Yes, I mean fart. Childhood memories. Love ya. Cath