Thursday, January 27, 2011

Samuel's Birthday and Baptism

Yes, I have a child who was born the day after Christmas.  It's all my fault, too, because I had an induction.  See, Tim only had two weeks off between semesters in Dental School.  His Mom worked.  My Mom felt like she needed to be home that Christmas because of some family stuff that had happened that year.  Tim was the only back-up plan that I had.  If I stayed pregnant any longer, I'd have him to help me for fewer days.  The kid was 9 lb 13 oz, so it wasn't like he wasn't ready.  I always joke that he was so big because he must have been pre-diabetic or something, and still, left to his own devices, he would consume only sugar (plus some fats).  Anyway, he entered our world 8 blessed year ago the day after Christmas.  What an important part of our family he is.  That propensity for sweets almost seems to affect his personality.  He has always been so sweet-natured and even-tempered.  I'm getting choked up just thinking about that precious little guy.  And he never was very little.  He's close to passing up Miles in height, and they're two and half years apart.  He was washing his hands the other day, and my heart skipped a beat.  They are almost as big as mine.  The other day he stood up next to our growth chart where we measure the kids every New Year's Eve, and he had already grown a half inch!  No wonder he wakes up with leg aches.

So, his birthday celebrations this year were pretty low key.  The 26th was on a Sunday this year.  We had lots of fun with Grandma and Grandpa being here.  Also, the photographer was still in recovery mode, so we don't have that many pictures.  Oh well.

Here are some pictures:

This is his bed decorated for the big birthday morning.  Do you love Wesley in the bottom corner?  I guess his Christmas PJs were too hot?  And don't judge me that their beds are all a mess.  I have my reasons...
With his birthday present: Nano Hex Bugs or something
"
"Happy Birthday to you..."  We had soooo many treats in the house that I didn't feel right about making or buying more cake.  He loves pumpkin pie, so it worked.


Eight candles on one piece of pie!

Digging in!!

Love that face!!

He was baptized at our Stake Baptism which is held the first Saturday of each month.  The first Stake Baptism after his birthday happened to be on New Year's Day: 1-1-11.  Grandma and Grandpa Call were still here, and Uncle Dan also got to be here.  It was a special day.

My favorite memory from the day was when I first saw Samuel all dressed in white.  We had arrived early, so that he and Tim could change.  I was holding the baby in the chapel, sitting by my parents.  I turned around to see Tim and Samuel walking in all in white.  He looked like an angel.  It took my breath away.  He was so excited.  I'll never forget that moment.

The Whole Group:  Lindsay, Grandpa Call, Grandma Call, Wesley, Tim, Samuel, Mom, Calvin, Julia, Uncle Dan, Miles

 
My family growing up had the tradition that we would go out to eat at a restaurant of your choosing the day you got baptized.  With my parents visiting and all, I thought it would be fun to keep up that tradition.  Sameul chose The Olive Garden.


 

1 comment:

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

Baptism day is THE BEST! Congratulations to you mom, you do such a wonderfl job!