Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Service and Santa

Samuel's class decided to do some service for their Christmas Party this year.  They made some ornaments and cards for the Alzheimer's patients at a nearby nursing home.  It was sweet to go with the kids to drop off the stuff.  The kids did really well trying to talk to the residents.  I've always felt like this could be a way for them to develop their talents, because each of them has been blessed with a kind heart and empathy for others (not necessarily for each other, but for others.  You get what I mean...).  Anyway, I'm glad we got this opportunity and hope to go back soon.

On a completely different note, the nursing home happened to have one of the creepiest Santas I've ever encountered.  He insisted on taking pictures with the kids.  Like really insisted.  It's making me cringe even thinking about it again.  He even "forced" me into a picture.  As we were leaving, Miles was so funny.  He said, trying not to be mean, "Mom, was that Santa, like, normal?"  Trust your instincts, buddy.  No, he wasn't.



Here's the group with Santa:
Samuel, Julia, Wesley, Noah, Miles, Tyler, Reagan

Maybe I shouldn't have judged him too quickly.  Really, who wouldn't want to hold my sweet little baby...On second thought, get your hands off my baby!

Then, he seriously grabbed me for this picture.  I just gave in and told Miles to take a picture fast, so we could get outta there.  Poor guy, maybe he's lonely.

Even though I look horrid here, I just had to add this adorable picture with Calvin in this festive hat.  Last year my Mom sent up this package of some of the old snow stuff we used to use on our ski trips to Utah when I was a kid.  They are seriously classic 70's stuff.  When my Mom was out here at Christmas, she said that her Aunt Dorothy had made this one.

No comments: